Sunday, June 18, 2017

Happy Fathers Day!

So I have been on a sabbatical here, the heat got to me but what better reason to get back into the swing of posting than Father's Day!

In honor of this important day we have my Dad's three top artists which are in no particular order: Bruce Springsteen, Chicago and Yes. He is unabashedly particular about his music, and I was so educated in my youth. As it is, I distinctly remember him driving five of my friends in our Expedition to the Chicago / Doobie Brothers concert in the Woodlands. I also know the exact seat he sat in Burruss Hall for a 3 hour set from The Boss, I think the concert gets longer with each retelling. I am also reminded that there were no breaks or intermissions, which can only be taken as a generational jab that today's music is weak... and he walked uphill both ways in the snow to school. "Yes" can't be left out of the conversation, I still remember the first time listening to Close to the Edge, which is an experience in and of itself. Also of note, those were (according to him) true albums, not a collection of songs- something I am reminded of frequently as well. Jon Anderson can only be described as odd with an un-matched upper register. Last but not least I was educated that Steve Howe basically invented the guitar and is the best guitar player there ever was (seriously though listen to The Clap).

That's the job description though that intermixed with corny jokes and generational jabs, dads must teach, educate and prepare. Much of my love and appreciation for music comes from my parents. Today we celebrate Dads everywhere and all of the lessons they have bestowed, the finer points of youth sports, handling tools, how not to do house improvement projects, how to call professionals and how to do things without Mom knowing. Enjoy the day and the music!

Open Spotify Playlist 


No comments:

Post a Comment